I'm Drunk, I Love You: A Review

Two best friends, Carson (Maja Salvador) and Dio (Paolo Avelino) are graduating soon. Unsure if the next few days might be the last time they'll be together, they pack their bags and take a road trip to La Union. As the day of their graduation gets nearer, their true feelings to one another start to show. Directed by Jaime Habac Jr., "I'm Drunk, I Love You" tells a somber story of surrender to intoxication and to love.

 "I'm Drunk, I Love You" is the first Jaime Habac Jr. film I've ever seen and it's unlike the other "hugot" films that preceded it. This movie left me dumbfounded as it brings hope and emancipation but also pain. It left me thirsty for more of those emotions behind Maja and Paolo's empty stares and tight smiles. Their relationship looks so genuine and tragic that I can't help but feel lost with them.

This is not a new story though. We understand the setup because we saw it already before. The lovesick girl has a long unrequited love with her best friend. Cliche but, in the hearts of hopeless romantics, it's still a story worth retelling. We love realism in cinema and who wouldn't love a friendship story that honors the reality? Real talks beneath the stars, midnight drinking sessions, beaches, and long rides. Sometimes, falling in love? But yes, this isn't a love story. It's a story of surrender. The seven years journey of Carson's submission to love after years of intoxication.

Habac has a way of inviting us to reflect. The quiet background forces us to listen to every word uttered and every song played. Habac's direction has this certain breeze in it that flow and eases through the screen. So even if the movie drowns in silence, it never felt overbearing listening.

"I'm Drunk, I Love You" sees Maja, Paolo, and Dominic Roco, who played Jason Ty, showcasing their talents in acting. They showed a great understanding of the roles they play and the world they navigate.

 "I'm Drunk, I Love You" is far from a perfect film. There are the unnecessary Jason Ty plot and Dio's toxic characterizations. There are many elements of it that miss and the story can be better. But it manages to keep itself afloat and, somewhat, relevant. It narrates what it needed to narrate and that alone is enough.

"I'm Drunk, I Love You" reminds us that surrendering to love gives the heart rests for all the ache it endures. To say the least, this movie is one of a kind with a lot of ruminating scenes to think over. It's better to watch it with friends and a beer on hand. Go on, give it a shot. Enjoy the pain of loving.

4/5